Well, you might not be aware of the types of food that are suitable for your pet. So, in this article, we will give you a brief about the foods which are good and harmful for your gerbils. So, without any further to do, let us dive into this article and explore the details.
Which are the foods which are good for your gerbils?
You might be wondering what is the best food for gerbils, isn’t it? Well, here we have made some categories under which we have listed out the foods which are suitable for the intake of your gerbil. Let us check them out below.
One type of healthy food which gerbils love includes seeds. You can give your gerbils seeds that have soft shells. They will be able to chew right through them. So, here are the healthy seeds which you can give your gerbils and those include:
- Sunflower (in moderation since they are fatty seeds)
- Seeds of grass, herbs, and bulbs
Apart from this, here are the seeds which you should avoid giving to your gerbils and they include the following:
- Cooked seeds
- Salted seeds
- Flavored seeds
- Fruit seeds (many fruit seeds tends to be poisonous to gerbils)
Just like humans, gerbils also love fruits. But because of the sugar content in them, you need to give gerbils fruits occasionally and in a considerate amount. The healthy fruits that your gerbil can consume include:
The above-mentioned fruits are a great treat to your pet. It will help to keep their fur shiny and clean. Also, fruits help in keeping their bodies and minds healthy and active. Apart from these, there are some fruits which you should avoid giving to your pet. Wondering what they include? Check the list mentioned below.
- Other fruit seeds
Gerbils can get vitamins and minerals from vegetables. These vegetables mentioned below can benefit gerbils but you need to feed them in a considerate amount. Apart from providing gerbils with nutrition and health benefits vegetables can also keep their teeth clean and free from disease. The vegetables which are healthy for gerbils include the following:
- Bell pepper
- Green beans
Your gerbil will love nuts but you need to make sure that you feed it in a small amount. Also, you need to be careful while selecting the nuts that you should give them. Here we have put down the names of those nuts which are safe for your pet’s consumption. What do these include? Take a look here below.
- Brazil nuts
Which are the nuts that are unsafe for your gerbil?
- Flavored nuts
- Cooked nuts
- Salted nuts
Foods that you should strictly avoid feeding your gerbil
Tea and coffee: these beverages contain caffeine which tends to be extremely dangerous for your small pets. You will see that your pet is already nervous so giving them coffee is a bad decision.
Citrus fruits: due to the acidity of these fruits, you are recommended to avoid feeing your gerbil with citrus fruits.
Unbaked eggs: salmonella, bacteria is present in eggs sometimes. So, in order to kill the bacteria, it is important you bake the eggs. You need to know that this bacteria will affect your gerbil. This can spread to you through its feces.
Chocolate: you might not be aware of this fact but chocolate contains a substance that is known as theobromine and this cannot be digested by the gerbil and thus becomes toxic to their system. It almost gives the same effect as caffeine but it is considered to be less pronounced. Also, in some serious cases, it can cause a heart attack.
How to feed your gerbil?
- Get them a food dish to keep their cage clean and tidy: well, there are two ways in which you can give food to your gerbil. One is by scattering it on its bedding and the other one is by putting it in a dish. So, if you want to keep the gerbil’s cage clean, it is recommended you purchase a dish for its food. Make sure you get a dish that is heavy and has lower sides.
- Also, get a water container: when you set up the cage for your gerbil, make sure you buy a good water container as well. This specific water container can be availed for your local pet store or even online. Check out the stores online for amazing products and cool deals.
- Buy a food mix for your pet: get food mixes that contain grains, seeds, dehydrated vegetables, and pellets as well. This can be a great diet food for your gerbil. With this mix, the nutritional needs of your gerbil can be fulfilled without any hassle. Check out local pet stores for a great variety of products.
- The feeding area should be set up in the gerbil’s cage: make sure you put the food dish and water container in the corner of the gerbil’s cage. Also, make sure you keep them away from the animal’s bathroom area.
Preparing food for gerbils – what should you know?
If you are going to feed your gerbil with fruits and vegetables, it is important that you wash them well and remove any type of harmful substances that might be settled on them. Make sure you wash the produce in clean and warm water and then mildly scrub to remove dirt particles.
Apart from this, if you buy store-bought food mixtures, nuts or seeds you got to put it in the freezer overnight before it is being fed to your gerbil. Well, if you are wondering why this needs to be done then remember these food items can have some bugs on them which can be harmful to your gerbil. Putting this in the freezer will kill these bugs or insects and you can freely feed it to your gerbil without any hassle. If your gerbil gets in contact with certain types of bugs then it can cause them discomfort and in some cases, it can result in death. Thus it is necessary you take all the precautions and freeze the food before feeding your pet.Read more →